Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Looking out

Joe left around 4 this morning for a quick business trip and will be back sometime after 9 tonight. It is quiet in this house. Usually I close the blinds as soon as evening comes on because I don't like the idea of people watching me as I cook dinner. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it...

But tonight I was eating late, and I had time to go upstairs to think and pray and distract myself in the meantime. (I shouldn't have been distracting myself.) It was past sunset but I didn't bother closing the blinds. The only light came from the computer screen, and that turned itself off eventually. Outside I could see the bare trees against the sky, which was gray after the snow and rain today. I don't usually look outside at night anymore...

The sky drew darker and darker. Lights shone through the blinds of the houses across the street, and people pulled up to their homes and opened doors to their dogs and well-lit living rooms. One man looked back out in my direction, and I ducked to the side, worried he could see me. Several kids ran out of another house and down the street. I wonder where they were going...

No comments: